There are several very important differences if a product has been approved as organic - instead of having a claim on the label that it contains certified organic ingredients.
Firstly, for a product to be certified the manufacturer is audited every year by an independent certifying body. This annual audit is like a "speed camera" - without it no-one is checking what actually happens when a product is made and the ingredients are added.
Secondly, all of the ingredients - not just the certified organic ingredients - are assessed for safety and sustainability. A product cannot use certified organic ingredients to try and "talk over the top" of synthetic chemical preservatives.
Finally, there are standardised procedures for calculating the percentage of certified organic ingredients and determining what qualifies as certified organic. This allows consumers to compare "apples with apples".
Certification requires extra work, extra expense and extra care.
In 2010 a new National Standard for Organic and Biodynamic products was adopted by the Australian government. For the first time consistent, clearly defined benchmarks for industry and consumers have been established. There are seven organisations (including NASAA) that are accredited by the Australian government to assess and approve products that meet these National standards.
The National Standards recognise two levels of organic certification for cosmetic products
Certified Organic Products
These have 95% or more certified organic ingredients - and the other 5% have been assessed for safety and sustainability. They carry the following logo.
Approved Cosmetic Products
These have between 70% and 95% certified organic ingredients - and all of the ingredients have been assessed for safety and sustainability. These products have a slightly different logo.
All of the products are listed in the certification of the manufacturer and you can download a copy of the Organic Certification for Sea Dragon Botanicals - which includes all the Elemental products.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.